Hyejo Seo -Project 12 – Proposal

For my final project, I want to create an interactive art that takes the viewer to different sceneries from animation film, Howl’s Moving Castle. This is a Miyazaki film that is based on a fantasy novel written by a British author, Diana Wynne Jones. Since this is my favorite Studio Ghibli film, I thought it would be interesting for me to base my final project on this film. Howl, a wizard, has a magical door that opens up to different places based on the color of the circle that is seen below. Hence, I will create an interactive art in which the viewer could change the color and see different landscapes.

Depending on the color the pointer is set to, the door opens to different locations.
Rough sketch of my idea

Each scenery will be based on the actual film and each will have one moving element. 

For “Black” location, I will depict the war scene. For this scene, there will be bomb exploding on the ground. 

“Black” location: a scene from the movie

For “Yellow”, I will create a flower field landscape in which the grass will be moving to depict its movement from the wind. 

“Yellow” location: flower field

For “Red” location, I will recreate Sophie (the main female character)’s hometown, which will have a train passing by. 

Lastly, for the “Green” location, I would either have the palace from the movie.

“Green” location: the palace