Looking Outwards 03: Computational Fabrication

A project I find particularly inspirational is “P_Wall” by Andrew Kudless (Matsys). I admire that it is a clearly patterned sculpture with a mathematical structure, but it has organic curves to it. I know that this is difficult to achieve because of a project I had done last year in my freshman year design studio in which a group of my classmates and I were to construct an environment with duplicates of small modules. It was difficult to form something that looked natural with pieces that were geometric, so I respect this aspect. This wall also reminds me of beef tripe, which is very soft and flabby, and contrasts the hardness of the wood used in the sculpture. I suppose that the algorithm that generated this structure was based on simple shapes and limited in size per hole. It was likely also randomized in its protruding curves or calculated based on ripples or waves seen in nature. Kudless’ artistic sensibility is seen in this piece, not just in the visually appealing pattern, but additionally in its size, which leaves the viewer with a grander impression and ability to experience the individual modules.

Image of the “P_Wall” by Andrew Kudless