Looking Outwards – 06

I admire the artwork of Tyler Hobbs called Continuity No. 8 made in 2014. It is from a series of work that is formed by pseudo-random quadrilaterals. The overlap of the quadrilaterals is the negative space, and the positive space is built up by layers. The proximity to the pseudo-random focal point changes the brightness, transparency, and sharpness of the positive space. The first layer helps generate the second layer, helping the work be more cohesive. This entire collection is generated this way, but this piece is my favorite because of its final composition. It reminds me of a subway passing by so fast with the lights bright. It seems never ending and continuous just like the name of the artwork, Continuity. I believe the artist shows their sensibilities in the bias of the pseudo random numbers that are chosen as the focal points of the work and the choice of picking this artwork to be shown. There must have been many iterations made using this process, so I think showing this specific one shows the artist’s sensibilities.

https://tylerxhobbs.com/essays/2014/randomness-in-the-composition-of-artwork