Jellyfish

Paper and tissue are attached to the end of a ruler, actuated by a breath-controlled pneumatic hinge. One end is held in place/mounted to the shelf.

Bird

Pneumatic hinge with paper “wings” on either side. Mounted pen “spine” held by user helps guide flapping movement.

Dog

Breath-controlled pneumatic pouch in plastic structure mirroring breathing motion, hidden by towel

Reflection

Generally speaking, I started off brainstorming general concepts, and let experimentation guide the process as I explored different set-ups and accompanying motions. It became apparent that it was difficult to make the hinges work in a very specific way, but general motion was much more achievable – constant experimentation will likely be necessary in order to fine-tune specific outcomes. It also was clear that, because they are powered by breath, some fabrics/motions required too much force to be done effectively. Through these exercises I gained a better understanding of pneumatic hinge behavior, applications, limitations, and potential with improved fabrication.