1. Moire effect / motion in motion 

The first idea is inspired by the visual effect of moire, where overlaying two identical patterns on parallel transparent surfaces create a new wave-like design. Displacing or rotating either surface creates a unique pattern not visible in either layer alone and could be used to create interesting visual movement.

a layered costume with transparent but lined fabric

As the performer moves, the layers shift to create a moire effect. 

This costume can expand to several items, such as a wired headpiece or round ballet skirt. 

2. Bubble wrap 

Using the characteristics of bubble wrap, I imagined a bubble-wrap-like structure that could be installed on the floor. As one goes through the space, they walk on top of the bubble that is filled with air to release air and change the air pressure. I think the air pressure change and the sound that is made with the bursting can actuate a specific movement. 

Inspired by Alexander Mcqueen’s Spring 1999 runway performance where two robots sprayed paint onto a model, I can think of paint bursting out of the bubbles to create an improvisational costume.

3. Tell me your deepest secret.

For the third design, I wanted to recreate the movement of the ear perking up, especially when listening to a secret. Through a sensor that detects only a certain decibel of sound (similar to a whisper), a headpiece with human ears can perk up like what animals’ do.