For our project, we aimed to create a parasite that is playful and fun. We were inspired by a furry fabric in the studio, thinking about how we could interact our body parts with it. We came up with a parasite that gently tickles the host’s body parts. Tickling also creates subsequent sensory experiences both for the host and the audience. 

Jennifer: Ear Tickling

without my hands

I made a parasite that latches onto my head from the back and tickles my ears. I imagined this parasite feeding off of the laughter that the tickling provokes. This was my first time creating such a big actuator, and because there were more hinges, I was able to make the actuator bend. However, as I attached the fur on the end of the actuator, the weight hindered the bending. It was also difficult to aim how much it bends/curls in order to make it touch my ears. During the demonstration, the parasite kept hitting my face or my chin. This allowed me to think about the relationship between the degree of curves I can make and the length/number of hinges. 

Isabel: “Sneeze”

The parasite takes the action by tickling the nose of the host. As the pneumatic pouch inflates, the parasite curls itself in an expressive manner and sweep the nose gently. The piece breaks down the filling mechanism of a party blower, prolonging the back and forth motion. On the plastic pouch, furry fabric is attached to create sense of  nuance and delicateness for the host. I hope find an improved way to attach the actuator to the body so that it become a more wearable piece, possibly on one’s mouth or top of the head. The project makes me rethink about the presence of body, postures and its senses.