Feb 3, 2022, 12:20PM to 2:10PM
Welcome! The main objectives for today are to introduce heat sealing tools and a tour of IDeATe space.
- Next week we will jump into using the sewing machines. On Tuesday, Feb. 8 (next week), those who have a lot of sewing machine experience or have taken any of these courses (Soft Fabrication, Intro to Textile Media, Inflatables, Garments) do NOT need to attend class.
- We will take measurements for the vests on Thursday, Feb. 10 (next week). Please wear a close-fitting shirt for that portion of class.
- Ozgun Kilic Afsar, of OmniFiber, is a visiting speaker (via zoom) next week Tues. Feb. 8 in the Morphing Matter lab. Check your email for the zoom link which Olivia sent to you all. Optional to go – but recommended!
Heat Sealing Tools & Techniques
We will spend the majority of the class working with heat sealing tools & techniques. You will be introduced to impulse sealers, plastic welders, fittings for tubes and air pumps, and maximizing sealing design.
- Open Soft Machines
- Aeromorph (see the multiple tabs under “Aeromorph Collection”)
- Sticky Actuator (see the tabs under “Sticky Actuator Collection”)
- Origami Inspired Muscles (incorporated stiffening structures)
- Laser-cut examples (complex patterns)
- Soft Robotics Toolkit (related soft actuators)
- Soldering Iron
- Soldering iron tip
- Parchment Paper
- Xacto knife and board (optional)
- Blood pressure cuff hand pump
- PVC tubing
- Barb fittings and nuts
- Soldering Iron & Work Surface
- Put on new soldering iron tip
- How to turn on and turn up/down soldering iron
- How to rest soldering iron
- Workspace clear and on “heat resistant” surface
- Ways to cut the plastic
- Marking the plastic
- Heat Sealing
- Drawing on lines to see through parchment paper
- Folding over (or two layers of) parchment paper
- Temperature vs. speed (Best temperature is 280 or 380)
- Row of lines, squares and circles
- Two-Sided Balloon
- adding valve
- Tubing to syringe
- Reuse of valves, nuts, tubing, syringe
- Made from two-sided balloon
- Changing the location and size of center hinge shape
- Lift Muscle
- Curved Bending
- Multi-sided balloon
- Complex shape (pipe screw)
Five-minute mid-class rest break.
Student Work Time
After the demonstration of the heat sealing tools and techniques, we will have open work time for everyone to try out the tools and techniques.
The fifth assignment is due before class on Tuesday, 2/8.
If you are new to the IDeATe Hunt Library facilities, we can take you on a brief tour. We will also show you where many of the tools will be kept for you to access.