Feb 8, 2022, 12:20PM to 2:10PM
Welcome! The main objective for today is to introduce sewing machines. Today’s class is optional for students experienced with both machine sewing and the IDeATe sewing machines.
- We will take measurements for the vests this Thursday, Feb. 10. Please wear a close-fitting shirt for that portion of class.
Intro to Sewing Machines
- First samples (helpful reference video by Natalya Pinchuk):
- Understanding tension
- Concentric Squares
- Concentric Circles
- Second samples:
- Straight seam
- Test out the different settings on the machine to make a Letter
Sewing Machine Manuals
Helpful References for Our Sewing Machines
- Introduction to Sewing Machines! (slideshow)
- Setting up the Brother sewing machines
- Brother Set-Up Slideshow
- Getting to know the Brother excellent video by Natalia Pinchuk
- Great Step by Step guide for the Brother by Spoonflower
More Helpful Beginner Videos
- Sewing a small bag, by Natalya Pinchuk
- Sewing a small heart, by Natalya Pinchuk
- How to Use a Seam Ripper
Five-minute mid-class rest break.
Student Work Time
After the demonstrations of machine sewing, we will have open work time for everyone to practice setting up and using the machines.
The fifth assignment is due before class on Thursday, Feb10.