- Check-in about schedule (new schedule)
- Demo & Activity: 1/4 scale sloper pattern making continued
- Break (~2:00pm)
- Introduce Hand Sewing
- Exit Ticket
**Bonus if we have time: Documenting Work discussion + Slideshow
- Sewing will begin March 8… that Monday, March 8 will be just for students who are beginners or want to attend to learn how to use the IDeATe sewing machine they are borrowing. Wednesday, 3/10 will be for everyone. There will be three “tracks” people can choose for their learning: beginning, intermediate, and advanced. My teaching that both days will be focused on the beginners. Intermediate and Advanced will have pre-recorded videos to guide you through the techniques.
- Picking up a sewing machine: You can pick up a sewing machine beginning on Wednesday, March 3 from A9 (remember Hunt is closed over the weekend).
- Soft Technologies Office Hours with Chris Atkeson, Melisa Orta Martinez, and Olivia Robinson: Wednesdays, 7-8pm at this zoom link
- Office Hours scheduler (link also on website front page, syllabus page)
Book: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women’s Wear 6th edition by Winifred Aldrich (digital copy) from Hunt Library.
Book: Metric Pattern Cutting for Men’s Wear 6th edition by Winifred Aldrich (digital copy) from Hunt Library.
Reference Book: Sewing for the Apparel Industry by Claire Shaeffer (Available online through Hunt Library).
DUE FOR NEXT CLASS
The following are due by the beginning of class, Mon., Mar. 1:
- Create a blog post to the class website with scans of your 1/4 scale sloper blocks so far and measurement chart with the measurements you are using. Categorize this post under “Sloper Blocks” (listed within Gallery).
- Do the hand sewing techniques listed on the Hand Sewing Sample Set assignment page and create a blog post to turn in your samples (described on the assignment page).
- Bring to next class:
- Printed sloper instructions to have on hand as you are working.
- your Measurement Charts (with the measurements of your fit model)
- from materials kit: pad of graph paper, curved garment rulers
- other materials: pencil, eraser, calculator
- Metric Pattern Cutting for Women’s Wear 6th edition by Winifred Aldrich (digital copy) from Hunt Library. Have it ready to view on your computer or tablet.