—- TODAY’S CLASS IS JUST FOR BEGINNERS —-
- Sewing Machine Return Requests from IDeATe staff:
Please ask students:
- to not leave unprotected needles and pins floating around in the case or in the case pouches. Use the included small, plastic tube for spare sewing machine needles. Pins and hand sewing needles should not be returned with sewing machines.
- to wind up the foot pedal cord and strap it together with the attached velcro in the same way as when the machine is received from us.
- to unspool small amounts of thread from bobbins to help keep them from becoming a tangled mass of thread inside of the pouch.
- to, whenever possible, protect spool pins by either retracting them (Brother) or detaching and storing in the pouch (Janome).
- to be upfront about any issues or breakage with the machine. Unless it’s a clear case of abuse, students won’t be charged for repairs. We just don’t want a broken machine going back out.
- Setting up the sewing machines
- Getting to know the Brother excellent video by Natalia Pinchuk
- First samples (helpful reference video):
- Understanding tension
- Concentric Squares
- Concentric Circles
- Second samples:
- Straight seam
- Test out the different settings on the machine to make a Letter
Sewing Machine Manuals
Helpful Beginner Videos
- Understanding Your Sewing Machine (Brother)
- Sewing Machine Samples (very first set)
- Sewing a small bag (helpful reference video)
- Sewing a small heart (helpful reference video)
- above videos by Natalya Pinchuk
Reference Book: Sewing for the Apparel Industry by Claire Shaeffer (Available online through Hunt Library).
DUE FOR NEXT CLASS
The following are due by the beginning of class, Wed., Mar. 10:
- Complete as many as you can of the following samples shown on this helpful sewing video by Natalya Pinchuk: Understanding tension, Concentric Squares, Concentric Circles, Testing Different Stitches to make a Letter, and Straight Seam. Hold onto these samples to include in your Sewing Sample Set #2, which will be assigned on Wednesday. You can just upload images of these samples in the same post along with the other samples in Set #2.
- Bring to next class:
- Muslin fabric
- black and red spool of sewing thread
- sewing machine on a table near an outlet
- seam ripper
- package of machine sewing needles
- surface to iron on (such as ironing board or towel)
- Sewing for the Apparel Industry by Claire Shaeffer (Available online through Hunt Library).