Push/Pull Objects – Adrienne Wang

For this project, I created my 3 objects with different approaches: the first with the final figure in mind, the second with the goal of being interactive, and the third driven by an emotion and action verb.

Object #1 Red Panda:

For my first object, I created a red panda plushie by combining a sphere shape, a tail made of a darted cylinder so it would curve to the side, and decorative felt for the ears and facial features. The body and tail were created together and then inverted right before stuffing. One of the biggest challenges with this object was inverting the fabric of the tail and stuffing it since its diameter was so small.

Object #2 Invertible Sphere:

For my second object, I wanted to create something interactive and playful, so I created a more complex version of a stuffed sphere by making it invertible. I was intrigued by the two colors of dark blue and white for the inside and outside of the sphere. I also liked the ambiguity of which color is the inside or outside, since both create the same shape.

Object #3 Spikes:

My third object was inspired by my emotions at the time, since I was feeling irritated in a calm and controlled way. I also wanted to portray the action verb of “to poke” and represented this through spikes that were made of small cones and later inverted before stuffing. Instead of making a sphere using a pattern, I leaned on the concept that inflated objects tend to form the shape of sphere, so I just tied a large piece of fabric at the base to close the object. I found it satisfying that the spikes can poke both outwards and inwards.