Rachel Lee-Looking Outwards-03

Living Mushtari by MIT Media Lab Mediated Matter Group, 2015.

The project that I have decided to focus on is Living Mushtari by the MIT Media Lab. While I was first drawn to this project because of the beauty of the generated wearable factory, what I admire the most about this project is how the team who created this project were able to harness biological processes and adapt them for greater human use in a non destructive/ obstructive way. While throughout history humans have not hesitated to destroy for personal gain, Living Mushtari allows for existing biological structures to take place naturally and respects its processes. This project was created using generative growth algorithms that mimic patterns in biological growth, and produce recursive forms over time. The products of such algorithms are useful materials such as pigments and drugs that are a product of microbial symbiosis. While this project serves a practical purpose, the creator’s artistic sensibilities are showcased as the wearable forms are produced in a way that reflect symmetry and conform to the shape of the wearer’s body, as well as highlight the detailed bacterial channels via colors and transparency.