Ankitha Vasudev – Looking Outwards – 12

The two projects that I have chosen to discuss relate to climate change discuss this topic in different ways.

The first project is called Entropy, which was created by ecological artist Lloyd Godman in 2010. I find this project inspiring because it was made as a response to the fire that affected Australia in 2009. The projection was written in C++ and begins by selecting one of 30 composite images and randomly generates a pathway to a single image. The project is a randomized sequence based on images in the data bank. I think this project could have been improved by making it interactive and allowing viewers to click on certain images for more information.

Entropy displayed at the TarraWarra Muesum of Art in Australia, 2010.

The next project is a game called Climate Quest that was developed in 2015 at the University of Washington. The purpose of this game is to promote environmental awareness. The story behind the game is that climate disasters are occurring across the country, but the heroes must save lives and protect ecosystems. I admire this project because it conveys an important message in a non-conventional way. The idea of storytelling through a video game seems interesting and creative.

Link to an interview with one of the creators of Climate Quest

A GIF of Climate Quest