LO 1 – My inspiration

One interactive art piece I admire comes from teamLab Planets TOKYO. It’s a piece called “The Infinite Crystal Universe” and it uses hanging strips of LEDs in a presumably reflective space that simulates an infinite environment. It utilizes pointillism to create visuals for the user. Due to this being a piece put into the museum by its owners, one can assume that a large number of people worked on it. As for the time it took, the project must have lasted for months if not years. The piece utilizes its own app to “throw” elements into the LED galaxy, so custom software was created that took information from the phone such as the direction the user is facing. Although I am not sure if the creators were inspired by any specific past works, the piece is entirely space-themed and the promotional video is occasionally reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey’s stargate scene, with lights flying by the viewer at incredible speeds. The piece is also similar to a large-scale version of the mirrors that use LEDs to create the illusion of an infinite hole. I think that this piece can lead to more art that allows viewers to interact with it in multiple ways, from physical steps to digital apps. I do not believe that the piece itself is so revolutionary that a slew of new space-themed 3D artworks will be created, but I do believe that this piece is incredibly interesting in its own right. I would love to see more interactive art pieces that make use of perspective and 3D space to create seemingly endless environments. Personally, I have always been interested in space and I would love to create something like this myself, had I the time or the budget to do so.

Picture taken inside The Infinite Crystal Universe.