LO-My inspiration

I am impressed by the Connecting Light project, which challenges the conventional feature of borders and connections using landscape art installation. It uses hundreds of six-foot-in-diameter balloons and LEDs to illuminate the Hadrian’s Wall World Heritage Site in Britain. It transmits messages from the audience by changing the color of those large balloons, which can be seen from miles away. I admire it because it extends for miles so it creates an extensive visual impact on viewers. Also, it can interact with the audience in an extremely beautiful way. It was created by a collective team called YESYESNO, which includes Marcela Godoy, Zach Lieberman, and Molmol Kuo. I was lucky to meet Ms. Godoy in person at NYU Shanghai where she talked a little bit more about this project. According to her, she joined the project when she used to work for a company that was invited by the UK Olympics committee to create a series of art installations to promote the idea of elaboration and connection. It took the team about a year to complete, and Ms. Godoy was mainly in charge of the physical parts of the project, like designing and fabricating customized 3D printed pieces, making drawings, and installing large balloons. To my knowledge, Ms. Godoy used Sketch for 3D printing.

a photo of Connecting Light

Reference:
Godoy. M., Liberman Z., Kuo, M. (2012). Connecting Light. http://connectinglight.info