LO 02 – Generative Art

Moka Schitta: Knots

Today I will be analyzing generative art created by Moka Schitta. Upon entering his portfolio site, I was greeted by colorful computational designs that reflect the artist’s style. To dive deeper into his/her work, I will be talking about the piece Knots (2020). Knots is a 60 second animation loop of knots that will never untie. Regarding the project, I really admire the pure fact that the artist used code to diversify their designs. The quick processing that is possible with code really elevates his/her work, and generates multiple pieces, which in other mediums, would take a long time to produce. For me personally, the idea of creating multiple versions of one project, generated through code is captivating.  If I had to guess the algorithm used for this piece, perhaps it is done using some sort of “delay” function, and having a colored background as base, and an overlaying an opaque color. And everytime the code is generated, it erases part of the opaque overlay, thus revealing the colorful background, and creating the “knot” shape. The creator’s artistic sensibilities are present and loud in their algorithm. As you can see, the general color scheme of the “knots” are visually appealing, and the concept behind this project is very meaningful. 

View portfolio here