LO 2: My Admiration

The art piece “Into the Trees” published on September 8th, 2010 by Robert Hodgin and Zoë Keating mixes code and keyboard commands with music, to create a stunning video of redwoods. When I first saw this piece, I found it eye catching, aesthetically pleasing, and quite simply, beautiful. After reading about it, I saw it was modeled after the redwoods of northern California, home of the composer, Zoë. I admired this, because I’ve always wanted to live in a redwood house when I first learned of how huge they are. Also, I love listening to instrumental music and I believe the cello is a beautiful instrument. I admire all of these elements, including how the piece operates, because they resonate with me and my likes. Robert normally makes a simple beat, but was inspired by Zoë’s music, and expanded his senses to create code that matched the haunting and somber beat of Zoë’s cello. The code was more extensive than creating basic 3D objects (e.g a table or shapes), so Robert had to invest in additional tech to get the granular aspects of the trees, etc. The extra care and articulation makes this a wonderful collaboration.

Here’s the link for more information: http://roberthodgin.com/project/into-the-trees

And a short clip of the artwork: