LO-02 (generative art)

i.php-1

Nervous System is a design project by Jessica Rosenkrantz and Jesse Louis-Rosenberg that uses “generative systems, 3D printing, and webGL” to create different household and jewelry products. The randomly generated patterns they use are produced by 2 simulation systems Xylem and Hyphae. Xylem generates 2D patterns and was built using Processing while Hyphae generates 3D patterns and was built using C##. Through the software they produced, people are able to create their own variation of the patterns within a product they’re interested in and have it 3D printed. I like that they give people the opportunity to be more involved in the designing of their products. I also like that they drew inspiration from nature because they were able to create structurally and texturally unique patterns not normally seen in jewelry or home decor. The only critique I have for the products are that some of the products that they apply their patterns onto are fairly generic in form. The dresses they show as well and some of the lamps and cups have very simple silhouettes. It’d be interesting to see if they could make forms for those types of products that looked less uniform and more natural like the patterns.