LookingOutwards-2

A generative or computational design that caught my attention as I was searching through work is a piece called, “Colourfield” by Jon McCormack. It’s a piece of evolving colors palettes that shift throughout time. It builds off of old compositions to develop a new range of complimentary colors. The intelligent algorithm also takes into consideration time, where a blend of colors that could be better slowly merges to something different and you can settle into ones that work well. I’m unaware of exactly how this was constructed but I can assume that McCormack developed code that understood what color codes work with others based on intensity, quantity, and negative space. The gradual change also creates a slight movement on your screen that holds your attention in learning what’s to come. As a Communication Designer, I appreciate Jon McCormack’s thinking in developing a digital piece that works with its environment. Color is something that’s underappreciated, and this makes you realize the subtitles and beauty it creates when it works together.