LookingOutwards-03

Google Eye
Google Eye

The artwork I find particularly inspirational is “Google Eye” created by Andrej Boleslavsky that visualizes Google Analystics data.  I am fascinated by how different angles of viewing this artwork may lead to disparate implications. Observing it horizontally, we only see a mountain-like region that goes high and low, while from the top of it we see a human eye that indicates “how we are observed by a complex computational system”, inspiring me to consider how to combine several messages in one single artwork. In contrast to numbers and reports, Google Eye directly visualizes them for the audience and directly represents  a one-year-cycle, leading us to reflect on the extend to which we are monitored by the system and how much “privacy” we are left with.

The artist constructed a model that generated by a custom made patch and transformed the dataset into valid model to print them out through 3D printing. While attempting to raise awareness of the invasion from information systems, the artists also realizes that this form enables the audience to gain better insight and makes the hidden patterns obvious. 

Google Eye patch