Looking Outwards – 04

The project I chose to learn more about was a project called “Plant Sounds” by TomuTomu . The project looks at the sounds various plants emit by “translating the electrical micro-voltage fluctuations” generated by the plants. This signal is then coded and used to produce a soundscape. What’s so interesting about this design is that the sounds come out so smooth and beautiful and that the plant is able to create that. I think for them to build this they would’ve needed to code the input values of the plant, from their electrical micro-voltage fluctuations, and assign values to them that would then relate to the code what time of sound output matches each value. I think the creator’s sensibilities lie in the sounds that are outputted because though the plant gives a specific value for the sounds, the creator decides which pitch is assigned to which value. I also linked another project regarding a similar project but one that experiments with adding voltage to plants and graphing out their molecular DNA changes to this signal. This is the TED talk by Greg Gage.

Plant Sounds : TomuTomu

Link for “Plant Sounds”: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvWPT4VhKTk&ab_channel=TomuTomu

Link for TED talk: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvBlSFVmoaw&t=1s&ab_channel=TED

Author: Bennett

Born in the Netherlands.