Looking Outwards-05

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40600473/FREE-BIRD

This collection is named “Free Bird” and is by Mike Campau. He’s a photographer who uses CGI to distort components of reality. Normally, he makes commercial art/graphics for companies like Beats by Dre, Under Armour, Nike, etc., but he also does personal projects like the one shown. In this collection, I like the way that he distorted that he used CGI to distort the bird cages. The statement included with it is “an escape from the odd and dark world we live in… and sometimes there are no doors to get out.” I think that the distortion of the cages helps convey the complexity of the problems people try to escape and creates a very somber and imposing mood. I don’t understand where the doors come in to play though. I’m guessing we are supposed to question how the bird managed to get out of the cage in the first place and wonder why the bird is still sitting on the cage if it managed to get out which I find interesting. He says that he made this in Photoshop to make this. I know that you can make 3D models and texture them in Photoshop, but I’ve never done it before so I couldn’t say exactly how he did it. Also, the bird a real bird and not a 3D model.