LO-8: The Creative Practice of an Individual

The person I chose was Janelle Shane, an artificial intelligence researcher. She is based in Boulder, Colorado, and studied electrical engineering at Michigan State University for her undergraduate degree.
She is essentially a researcher who focuses her work on showing the shortcomings of machine learning and AI through humor.
I admire Shane because her projects are very lighthearted and creative. AI is something that can be very daunting to many because of how “human-like” it’s becoming so I love how she focuses on its struggles in a humorous way to show how it still has a long way to go to actually think like a human.
The work that piqued my interest was Neural Candy Hearts. I thought this project was very creative and funny since she uses AI to recreate the famous Valentine’s Day candy hearts.
Shane’s presentation style is just like the projects she works on. She talks very casually about her works and presents them highlighting the humorous aspects to engage her audience. Based on the way she presents her projects, I think that it is very important to basically let the projects themselves do the “talking.” In other words, I think it’s important to show what your project does rather than try to explain it bit by bit.

Janelle Shane at Eyeo 2018