Looking Outwards 08

The person who’s video I watched was Neil Mendoza. Neil is from London, UK, and is based in California. His artwork is him “combining sculpture, electronics and software to bring inanimate objects and spaces to life.”. Neil presents in a fun and funny way. He tries to compare himself to comedic things and tries to show off serious work with a fun presentation. Neil uses digital and mechanical technologies to bring inanimate objects and spaces to life. Using this medium, he explores the absurd, the humorous, the futile and the surreal. I admire that he likes to create “useless” machines, like teaching a fish to use hand tools or using hamsters as an art tool, as shown in his video. I really admired the hamster art that he presented about. I like this piece because it was a hamster running on a wheel that ended up moving an arm to draw itself on the wheel. I also admired his fish piece where a fish was able to make a hammer move and smash down, I admire this because it is such a unique concept I never would have thought of.