LO 9 – On Looking Outwards

For this week’s LO, I looked at Holly’s Looking Outwards post from week 5 on 3D computer graphics. In this post, she examined the work of 3D designer Roman Bratschi, studying a piece from his “NONSENSE IN 3D N°191-200” collection from 2018. Similar to Holly, I am drawn to Bratschi’s work because of his highly detailed, realistic renders of complex textures. His strong sense of color is evident in his work, as he utilizes sophisticated color palettes to enhance his visual narratives. In addition to the elements that Holly pointed out in her post, I think that the compositions of his pieces play a significant role in their success, as they are quite dynamic and invite viewers to examine the intricacies of each render.

To learn more about Bratschi, I visited his website, where I read about his career path and past work. I was really intrigued by the way that although his work is extremely clean and polished, he is able to effectively manipulate texture, color, and composition to convey a range of emotions and narratives across the different pieces in his portfolio. While some renders come across as very elegant and satisfying, others feel dark and unsettling.