LO 9 – On Looking Outwards

Looking back to the wide variety of Looking Outwards projects, one specific blog post that I find very intriguing is poppy’s “Looking Outwards – 05 – 3D Computer Graphics“. As the title of this blog implies, the fifth week of Looking Outwards projects involved 3-dimensional computer graphics.

Poppy’s analysis focuses on Jennifer Steinkamp’s “Womb“, a piece that was featured at Talley Dunn Gallery in August 23, 2019. As a digital animator, Steinkamp uses 3D modeling software and Photoshop to explore the ideas of space, perception, and motion.

“Womb”, Jennifer Steinkamp’s, 2019

“Womb” allows viewers to walk up to an interactive wall of fruit that follows the movement of people and continues to move on its own. Poppy expresses, “I admire how eccentric and lively the piece is…Similar to a womb that takes up space within the body in order to generate life, her artpiece generates transformation, movement, and life as well.” I definitely agree with Poppy’s statement regarding Steinkamp’s purpose and how the piece affects its audience. Adding on to this, I believe that the piece’s interactive aspect allows viewers to be involved as participants, giving them a more personal experience overall.