LookingOutwards-09

I think this project is very performance-oriented in the way it captures the nuance of the changing surroundings from a more philosophical aspect. In creating the garments, the designer was inspired by a patient whose self-identity changes depends on the surroundings. I do agree with Isabel on how this project embodies the complexity and rhythm of the changing environment. To a certain extend, I also agree with her notion on how this project questions the traditional assumptions about clothing with the use of technologies and computation, but I believe the innovative part is not all about combining robotics with fabrication. On a deeper level, it challenges us to reflect on the role of the clothes and the wearer. In the past, human chose what to wear base on their needs, which is constantly changing as the weather, social occasion, and many other variables would be taken into considerations, but this new garment has its judgment, whether rational or not, on how to react to the immediate present.

I would say that the message that the creator wanted to deliver is more about the philosophical relationship between individuals and the changing surrounding, and less on the algorithm and the tools she used.

Ying Gao, 2019, “flowing water, standing time”.

@Isable Xu LookingOutwards-03: https://courses.ideate.cmu.edu/15-104/f2020/2020/09/19/lookingoutwards-03-4/