Looking Outwards 10 – Aphex Twin

Aphex Twin – “4”

Eamonn Burke

This is one of my favorite electronic songs, because it seems to blur the line between repetition and randomness in rhythm.
The beat is entrancing to me, but the changes in frequency in speed also keep your attention as you listen, as well as the pauses
and extra sound effects.

There seems to be an oscillation in the background that ranges from a very high frequency to a middle range one. One top of this,
there are notes playing at a high but varying speed, which appear to slightly oscillate in amplitude themselves. The last layer is
the beat, which repeats at a high tempo, and at certain parts of the song it speeds up greatly, creating a sort of “stutter” effect.

As I said before, I think that Aphex Twin’s creative sensibilities come in using these tools to create a high energy and spontaneous
track that commands your attention and sounds different every time you hear it, because of the unpredictability of the changes in the
melodies and rhythm.