LO 10 – Computer Music

For this week’s Looking Outwards, I decided to take a look at the work of British singer-songwriter and audio engineer Imogen Heap. I specifically looked at her “MI.MU gloves” (2014) and the various ways that she uses this innovative computational musical instrument to compose and perform her music. MI.MU gloves are a wearable instrument that utilizes mapping technologies to translate hand movements into musical compositions. For instance, specific hand movements trigger changes in pitch, filters, and scales. The technical elements of the gloves include flex sensors, orientation sensors, a wifi device, and software that uses MIDI and OSC to coordinate movements and sounds.

I find this project fascinating and admire Heap’s work because of how revolutionary it is in bridging the gap between the analog and the digital through creating a more natural relationship between the artist and the computer. The gloves completely transform musical performance and experience, allowing artists to incorporate sound and movement seamlessly. They are also somewhat accessible, as they are available for purchase online, and many musical artists have used the gloves in their music/performances.

MI.MU gloves
how MI.MU gloves were developed
Imogen Heap performance; at 9:05, she describes and gives a demo with the gloves