LO 11: A Focus on Women Practitioners

Night Witches Demo

A project that I want to highlight this week is NightWitches by Caroline Sinders. Sinders is a machine-learning-design researcher and artist. She got her Masters from the New York University’s Interactive Telecommunications Program and now is the founder of Convocation Design + Research, an agency focusing on the intersections of machine learning, user research, designing for public good, and solving difficult communication problems. She also has worked with Amnesty International, Intel, IBM Watson, the Wikimedia Foundation, and etc. 

NightWitches is an interactive story/game that mimics the true story of Nadya Popova, a WWII Soviet Female fighter pilot. The story is built in Unity with an interactive web component, allowing for interaction across both mobile and web. I really appreciate Sinders’s work as it helps shine light on a neglected part of history and boost female representation. The simplistic design of the illustrations in the story also captures my attention.

Besides the interactive story itself, I also enjoy looking Sinders’s design process. Her thorough research on the history and user testing are very impressive. Overall, NightWitches is a very inspiring project with beautiful design aesthetic and purposeful research, creating a meaningful story.

Creator: Caroline Sinders

Year: 2014

Link: https://carolinesinders.com/nightwitches/