LO 11

I researched Yael Kanarek’s website and interactive art piece World of Awe. It’s an extremely impressive narrative website, with three separate stories and uniquely generated terrain for visitors to explore. The most interesting part is that a visitor’s movements in World of Awe are tracked and used to form a new art piece, filled with references to where each visitor has been and connecting everyone in the story’s various locations. It’s such a gorgeous piece of art, and it takes my mind to a lot of locations I’ve read about in books, or fantasy locations from board games or movies. I love the depth and richness of it. Kanarek herself is an artist who works with language in the modern era, and has won many awards for her work in the field of communicative art. One of her guiding principles in her work is her view of the Internet as bridging the gap between human and computer communication, and this concept is extremely present in all of her work, especially World of Awe. In addition to teaching at the Pratt Institute and her personal work, she has founded a text-based jewelry company called Kanarek, and is an artist in residence at the Romemu Center, working on regendering the Bible.