LookingOutwards-11

The artist I want to talk about is Milica Zec. She is a New York City-based film and virtual reality director, editor, and screenwriter. One of her projects in the virtual reality medium was a short narrative piece called, “Giant,” which is a VR immersive experience based on true events during a war. “Giant” transports the viewer into a bomb shelter in an active war zone, where two parents are trying to distract their children from the war by telling a story. I admire how powerful and influential her work is in creating empathy. Many viewers indicated that they felt strongly connected to the refugees. I like how she used VR as a tool of storytelling, and the story she told is very meaningful.

Giant

Before entering the field of virtual reality, Milica has been collaborating for 9-years with the performance artist Marina Abramovic. Specifically, Milica has been Marina’s filmmaker, editor, and video-installation designer. As for her educational background, Milica is a graduate of The University of Dramatic Arts in Belgrade, Serbia, and SCPS NYU.