Alice Fang- Looking Outwards-2

“Metamorphic Drawings” by Miguel Nóbrega, days 1-6

it’s doing it is an online exhibition where artists express a set of instructions through code which then generates images daily for 45 days. With a new, unique image generated every single day, this project experiments with removing the physical viewing aspect of interactive exhibitions, instead driving the viewer to revisit the webpage over a month and a half. A new visit to the website will have a new set of images curated. I think this is an interesting solution to the problem of displaying media in galleries that are limited in the physical world, and I wish I knew about this while it was still current, to experience first hand the intrigue in visiting the site daily to see unique, but similar pieces of art.

Written instructions are given to the viewer as well, and they tend to be very poetic, and although the computer generates the image, the artist still has their own personal touch (through style and type of content). Each artist probably used algorithms with different purposes, from randomizing variables of size and generating numbers for colors (Matthias Dörfelt’s ‘Daily Donut’) to adding filters and effects from images in a database (Daniel Schwarz’s ‘Morning Routine’), to generating random handwritings (Adam Ferriss’ ‘Signed Autograph’).