LO4 – Alexander Chen

When it comes to music and technology, I definitely feel that this is an area where we will be headed in the near future. As a music major myself, this is an area where I definitely feel very strongly about. I think technology is going to play a bigger and bigger role in contemporary music and that is inevitable. However, whether or not that is a good thing is up for debate. I personally believe that it is a very good assistant. Like jazz guitarist, Pat Metheny states, it is definitely a good assistance. However, that being said, I do not believe that computers will be able to completely take over music (like a robot symphony orchestra) as author William Hochberg seems to suggest. This is because there is a level of human connection and feeling that computers will not be able to replicate. Unless there is AI that is advanced enough to “feel” I don’t think computers will ever be able to create real art. However, that being said, computers and algorithms writing music has been around for forever, and in that instance, I think it is slightly different and definitely valid.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/08/computers-that-compose/374916/

A piece written in the style of Bach.