Looking Outwards 05

I was very excited to see that this weeks topic was 3D generated graphics because I have always been very interested in fractals. In concept, fractals are rather simple to wrap your head around, but they can quickly become extremely intricate and complicated. Thus there are many programs on the web to generate them and I have perused for years.

Ok so my favorite one overall because it has some really cool GPU accelerated advanced ray tracing pretty picture features is Mandelbulber. This one has stuff like volumetric fog and advanced reflections as well as some really cool volumetric lighting.

Another really good one, which I think has a much better preview mode (and therefore is better for laptops) is Mandelbulb3d. This one has some really cool features like the ability to slice fractals (which allows them to be reconstructed into 3d models. It also has a powerful hybrid engine which allows for fractal combinations.

Mandelbulb Accretions of Fungal matter

I really like Mandelbulb in particular just because it introduces the concept of fractal generation in a very simple to use software so virtually anyone can create 3D fractals and artwork.