LO2

My choice of computational artist is one of my design professors, Kyuha (Q) Shim. The project I am focusing on for this LO is “Raster”. The images produced in this project are all abstracted versions of previously determined artifacts found during his residency at Frans Masereel Centrum. I chose this project to focus on because it initially seems like simple rasterization of images since the images aren’t so far abstracted that Q’s images are unrecognizable from the original images, however after learning about the program that was applied to create the final pieces, there is a new level of appreciation in the medium, process, and effort put in to consistently transform a set of images.

In the overview of the project, it is explained that a raster lens is applied, and color data from the image dictates the shape of the cells based on a predetermined set of rules. After determining the cells, the balances and relationships between CMYK(primary colors used in print) and considered before being overprinted. The program creates tension within the images by pushing the abstraction of the artifact by manipulation of the resolutions of the grids within the image through a defined range of values. Q also randomizes values within certain parameters to create a consistent set of possible variations as the computer shuffles values to figure out the ideal image.

Since Q is the creator of the program, his sense of artistry was put into the code when he decided what parameters and limitations were appropriate to transform the images.