LO 3

An artist who utilizes computational fabrication is Taekyeom Lee(@taekyeom). When I first started following his work, he primarily focused on 3D printing ceramics. Although that has stayed as a consistent feature of his projects, he has also ventured into working with using robots to draw intricate letterforms, printing letterforms through ceramics, and mixing in generative design. Most recently, he has printed miniature versions of his ceramics pieces to print molds for casting little soaps.

My personal favorite of his projects has been an ongoing series of printed ceramics that have evolved into many different mediums of print materials. I found great aesthetic appeal in the forms of his printed ceramics, which often focus on radial symmetry and takes inspiration from nature. He also had very interesting pieces that focus on the internal structure of the print; from the outside, it’s an unassuming form, but when you look inside, the form holds intricate twisting tunnels. I think that in creating the pieces, there is an element of letting the program make decisions and leaving complete control of how the forms come out in the hands of the printer and chance–many of his projects have collapsed while wet, rendering the print failed.

internal shot of a ceramic print
internal shot of corn using translucent filament
internal shot of a ceramic print