LookingOutwards- 04

Shore Scene Soundtrack by Cevdet Erek

One work of computational sound art that I found interesting while researching was the Shore Scene Soundtrack, (https://www.artsy.net/artwork/cevdet-erek-sss-shore-scene-soundtrack), by artist Cevdet Erek. It is an interactive project that simulates the sounds and waves of the ocean when hands move across a carpeted material. I found this work of art inspiring because it taps into people’s memories and brings back their experiences of hearing the sea, while directly interacting with a physical material. In terms of the algorithms that generated the work, I think that the artist would have used loops and repetitions to simulate the ripples of the sounds of the sea. A cascading effect also would have been created through the use of gradual or incremental decreasing and increasing the aspect of the volume variable. The way that the artist envisioned the ocean and was inspired from it reflects in the final work because of the realness of the feeling of the sound, which to many people is nostalgic. This work was installed in Sydney Biennal, and also won the Nam June Paik award in 2012.