LookingOutwards-05

The project I want to discuss is a piece of public media art, “WAVE”, created by a Korean design company called d’strict. “WAVE” is an anamorphic illusion of water surging in a giant glass jar revealed on a magnificent DOOH of COEX K-POP SQUARE, the largest & high-definition outdoor advertising screen in S.Korea at 80.1m (w) x 20.1M (h).

video

Needless to say, the astonishing visual effect attracts me. I admire how modern technology and art as well as the natural and artificial are perfectly integrated to maximize people’s sensual experience. Yes, besides visuals, “WAVE” also provides acoustic effect to enhance the realistic impression of the art.

“WAVE”

I know that fluids are probably the hardest thing to simulate in 3D rendering software because its movements are complex and hard to predict. I suppose the creators simulated water flow using 3ds Max Fluids and the Motion Field space warp. The algorithm might have helped them to customize the dimension of video according to the size and geometry of the LED screen to create an anamorphic illusion.

The creators’ artistic sensibilities are manifest through the creative concept of manipulating sight to create a realiztic 3D effect on 2D media.