LO-08 Creative Practice of An Individual

Giorgia Lupi’s 2018 Eyeo Talk

Giorgia Lupi is an information designer, partner at Pentagram, co-founder of Accurat, and co-author of two books. She got her master’s degree in Architecture and is based out of Milan and New York. Her work is featured at the MoMA, Cooper Hewitt, and Smithsonian. She describes herself as a data humanizer, she humanizes data through the story behind the data. Her body of work usesdata to visualize aspects of life that we ‘don’t usually associate with numbers.’ Her work ranges from hand-drawn data visualizations to data driven fashion collections to large-scale computer graphics for big names like SNL and IBM. 

I admire how Lupi uses data to better understand human nature because she helps her audience empathize with others. For example, in the project of hers I admire most, Bruises she uses her friend’s daughter’s clinical data to illustrate both the factual and emotional aspect of the experience. Lupi’s presentation strategy is a conversational tone and a ton of visual aids. This is effective because it doesn’t feel dry, she tells a story and uses humor to engage her audience. I can definitely learn from the way she frames the story of her art to help her audience relate more. 

Bruises by Giorgia Lupi (music by Kaki King)
Key for Bruises Visualization