Looking Outwards 08- The Creative Practice of an Individual

Nadieh Bremer’s website:

https://www.visualcinnamon.com/

The person I will be writing about today is named Nadieh Bremer. She is a graduated astronomer, turned data scientist, and now data visualization designer. She creates unique interactive data visualizations for press releases, data driven reports, and data art. After reading her “about” tab on her website, I learned that she is very passionate about what she does. She left the world of academia to pursue data science and once she learned that she really enjoyed visualizing analysis, she started creating personal projects. She describes her work as the following, “My projects include both web-based interactive visualizations, frequently using a storytelling technique to show insights into complex data and static visualizations that typically allow a bit more freedom in their design.” After looking through her work, I noticed that although her work is based on real information and a collection of facts, the visual aesthetic of her visualizations is art itself. It is something that can be seen hanging off a wall as an art piece itself. Her use of color is captivating in all her data visualizations and she uses many different forms to express information. One thing about her work that I want to reflect in mine is how playful it is. There was a project that had graphics of cats and dogs that I really enjoyed. It really opened up the range of how playful data visualization can be and that really inspired me to take risks with my work and include my personality in it.