LO 11 – A Focus on Women Practitioners

Claudia Hart

The Dolls House (2016)

For my female artist I chose to learn about Claudia Hart, a computational fine artist of interactive imagery. Her work features topics such as issues of the body, perception, the real vs. unreal, and the relationship between nature and technology. Hart’s work is “symbolist and poetic” (from her website bio), and can be described as mesmerizing and hypnotic. She describes her work as “post photography” —her pieces are generated from computer models instead of captured with a camera. 

I examined her piece The Dolls House—a special series of video, drawing and sculpture inspired by the media ballet The Dolls, based in the philosophical idea that history forever renews itself through “a process of decadence, decay and rebirth” (https://claudiahart.com/The-Dolls-House-2016). In this piece, Hart molded mathematical cycles into visual form: a figurative flicker film created with rhythmic animations and pulsing patterns. The passage of time is defined by a cyclical animation where a light moves around the virtual set, casting shadows to mimic sunrise and sunset.