In the past two weeks, we have shifted gears from pneumatic pumps to costume fans! Using inflatable nylon material, we discovered a vast difference in dynamic movements from the costume fans.

Our base structure is a tiered stack of two prisms that rise off one another (see video below). The base shape was designed to fit and be supported within the tuba’s aperature.

Still inspired by a more graceful and organic effect, we are exploring a slower, more gradual effect of petal strings spilling out from the tuba. Having iterated on many different forms of these strands, we decided to go with a light polyester material to reduce the amount of weight on the inflatable.

Currently, we are using the dyeing techniques we learned in class to create a finished look for the performance.