Critique 1: Visual Interaction

“An island that cannot hear in an ocean that cannot see.”

Due 11:59pm, 25 September.

Use vision to make an interaction accessible to someone that cannot hear.   This is more than the simple state machines in the weekly assignments — for this crit we want a full interactive experience where the device interacts with a person.  “Cannot hear” is not defined only as deaf or hard of hearing, it can be a condition where listening/hearing information is impossible.  Examples:  at a Baroque symphony, wearing ear protection while using loud construction equipment like a jackhammer, at night in a dorm room when the roommate is sleeping.

The inputs that can be used for this interaction are open to whatever makes the interaction work.

Take a look at the syllabus for more information on crits and the goals of this class before starting your project.  Remember what we talked about in the first classes, the differences between reactions and interactions.  The IDeATe Lending Library is also a good resource (and some of the staff have taken Making Things Interactive!).

Email me if you have any questions or hardware problems.  I will be on the road most of Thursday but will have my laptop out at the conference taking notes on presentations.

2 thoughts on “Critique 1: Visual Interaction”

1. Hi Jet,

I sent you an email but I leave a comment here just in case.

I have a technical question about Arduino for Critique 1 Assignment.

The problem I am focusing on is when people go to a concert where there are a lot of crowds, it is difficult to find friends because it is so noisy and smartphones usually become out of service. So, I want to design a pair of necklaces (or bracelets) with LEDs, which become brighter (or change colors) when they are closer and become dim out when they are further, by detecting each other’s proximity.

I tried to find a component to make this feature in Arduino, but could not come up with any solution yet. Could you recommend me how could I make this?

Thanks,
    Jay

1. That’s actually more complicated to implement than it sounds. One simple solution is that each item would have to know it’s location (GPS?) then communicate with the other devices over wireless (probably WiFi). You could do all of that in a mobile phone app then have the app communicate with a worn device using Bluetooth LE. That’s also the level of a final crit project where you’ve spent the semester building each element in assignments and crits.