Week 01 (M) Reflection/Assignment

Reflection/Assignment #01

1. Review Tom Igoe’s page that we looked at in class. Any changes you would make? http://www.tigoe.com/blog/category/physicalcomputing/176/

As a design major student, I think that it is (extremely) difficult to create a thing that no one has thought about. Sometimes, I have to confront the reality that my creation has similar aspects with others’, even though I didn’t even know anything about them when I was designing something. I do agree with the idea that we all came here to make new and meaningful things, not the duplicate of the previous ones. However, I’d want to say that since we (at least, I) do not have much experience in designing physical interactions, and t might be helpful to think about what makes those works in Tom Igoe’s page popular and interesting. That would be a great start.

2. Descendant Review

It was interesting that the writer saw the relationship with a human and a machine (a smart suit) from a different perspective. Also, even though I do not know anything about the background or the premise of this fiction, the clues kept being thrown through the conversation between two characters. I could understand they both participated in a war and they became lost on a planet by a wrecked module after the explosion.

I could guess that the premise of this story is in the far future – because of the smart suit, which has full intelligence so that it can make a decision by itself. Also, it seems like it is equipped with various types of technology, such as sunlight panel and self-recycling system. But things that I could see in the present days are also shown. Especially, the camera is the item that holds all previous memory of the person (dead body).

The communication makes the border between the human and the intelligent machine blurry. It was impressive to see that the machine says “I hurt.” at the end of the story. How can we differentiate human from the AI machines? Is this how human-machine symbiosis look like? Which one is alive and which one is dead? Some serious questions pop up into my mind while I was reading this story.

3. Related Skills:

I am an interaction/UX designer who is studying at the Master of Design program. I have an industrial design background for my undergraduate.

It would be helpful to write keywords of my experience – Design Thinking, UX/UI, Interaction Design, User Research, Service Design, System Design, Industrial Design.

The tools I could use for design/prototyping are Sketch, Principle, After Effects, Cinema 4D, Rhino 3D, Fusion 360, Keyshot, Laser cutter, 3D printer, and etc. I did some simple Arduino projects before, but not that proficient at coding. I’m open to learning more about it!

Author: jaeyeonh@andrew.cmu.edu

Hi, I am a Master of Design candidate in an Interaction design program. I have an industrial design background.