Assignment 8: Net Chimes

Concept

Inspired by Jet’s examples of doorbells with physical chimes, and my last post about Ballet Mecanique, I wanted to make something both percussive and tonal that responded to a digital event stream. I thought it would be fun to reproduce something like the chimes used in theaters to signal the end of intermission, but have it triggered by my Google Calendar rather than an usher.

To accomplish this I made a python program based heavily on the quickstart offered by the Google Calendar API, which checks the time until the next meeting on my calendar, and when that meeting is a certain number of minutes away, it plays a chime to indicate the amount of time remaining (5, 4, 1, or 0 minutes were chosen arbitrarily).

Demo

Tech Stuff

The only hardware used is a pair of servo motors, and the Sparkfun board connected to the laptop (for serial and power connectivity). When the board is sent a character corresponding to a note (A, B, C, D, E, or F… G was too far), it first rotates the base to the appropriate angle to line up the mallet with the note, and then the other motor strikes the note. This allows the Python program to dictate the note sequence as a simple string of characters, and does not require reprogramming the microcontroller to make new chimes.

code: netChime.zip

Author: Matt Franklin

I'm a recovering engineer + sales guy... BSEE from UMD 2004, and then 15 years of working with signal processing, AV, control systems, networking, and other gadgetry (mostly B2B). Now I'm in the Master of Human-Computer Interaction program, graduating in August 2020. I have pretty solid experience with: - Linux - audio - video - rs232/422/485/midi/dmx protocols - sketchup and other cad tools - soldering - music (mostly guitar, but others too) - general troubleshooting - networking (wired + wireless) - signal processing - streaming video/audio - python I have some experience with or am mediocre at: - woodworking - welding - laser cutting - sewing - reverse engineering - ML (none really but I'm currently in a class) - some javascript - rusty with C++ and Java, but used to be decent - tube amplifiers - RF