Oct-06

Agenda:
  • Exit Ticket Responses:

I would love a crash course on how to use the teachable models or the openframeworks silhouette application in some form of workflow. I’m feeling a bit defeated about how to implement these tools into my existing skillset. I know that’s not the goal of this class, but a general direction on how take advantage of these tools would be helpful.

Take EMS 2. And. We will teach OSC tools today that will open up some more avenues. If you want pixels then you can use Syphon or NDI, if you want data then use OSC.

How do you connect Kinect to mac OS? For some reason I thought it was only compatible with Window..

The Kinect v1 works on the Mac and has since 2010. Research compatibility for newer versions of the kinect.

how to mount a camera on car tyre?

This is a complex answer that would involve hands on study of the tire, the camera, how the camera is built to mount, etc.. But I bet you there’s a youtube video!

• Room for Discussion from previous class
FFMPEG Demos
OSC Demo(s)
  • OSC Demos are downloadable from here.
Homework

Due 10/13:

Read Two Cuts intro chapter to Making a Laboratory: Dynamic Configurations with Transversal Video
(2020) by Ben Spatz

Write Using the tag twocuts briefly consider what your two cuts may be in either your Typology Machine or if you feel ready feel free to discuss your two cuts in your Person In Time project.

Summary of the book:

“Making a Laboratory defines a new audiovisual embodied research method that short-circuits experimental practice and video recording to generate new kinds of data and documents. Overturning conventional hierarchies of knowledge, “Dynamic Configurations with Transversal Video” (DCTV) grounds both discursive and audiovisual knowledges within the space of embodied practice, synthesizing insights from historical epistemologist Hans-Jörg Rheinberger and philosopher of science Karen Barad to offer the first rigorous definition of laboratoriality outside a techno-scientific paradigm. In this concise book, nonbinary practitioner-researcher Ben Spatz situates the DCTV method in the context of artistic research and alongside emerging audiovisual methods in other fields, while highlighting its unique characteristics. Across six focused chapters, Making a Laboratory introduces DCTV as a queer feminist adaptation of Jerzy Grotowski’s “poor” theater laboratory and defines its core elements, drawing on a range of thinkers including Giorgio Agamben, Rebecca Schneider, and Hito Steyerl, in order to examine power, identity, and documentation in lab practice. Drawing from the ethical consent practices of the BDSM community, it lays the groundwork for a radical reinvention of audiovisuality from the perspective of embodiment — the audiovisual body.”

Exit Ticket