TypologyMachine (Working Title: Black Bottom)

I propose to create a media project that contemplates dominance and submission through performance in pornography. The typology of professional studio gay pornographic film teasers focuses on Black men who are penetrated by white men, creating a video assemblage concentrating on the body’s performance.

What patterns are present in the submissive representation of the Black male body in pornography? What does it mean to take the scenes out of context?

You can tell a lot about a person based on the type of porn they watch. This form of theatrical fantasy deeply involves itself in the webs of the viewer’s psyche. I am creating an index of porn teasers developed by major companies (Men.com, Sean Cody, Falcon studios, etc.) for the section and removing the Black performers. The film trailers will be broken down into shorter excerpts that eliminate the original context besides the Black male body. I am creating a system of organization and assemblage. The use of collage relates to the overconsumption of internet material (pornography, to be specific). I must consider the pacing and interaction of the figures and the space I am enacting. I am using the video editing software RunwayMl to mask and separate the performers from their original context.

I believe the project contains a shock value that I will have to handle with care. These images transfer through multiple digital spaces, carrying inherent harm to the Black body as the subject. It is important to consider the treatment and representation of the body throughout the work. Along with the new context, visual and audio elements must curate and reflect the new narrative to create a contemplative impact. This will be further developed in the experimental capture. Repetition, rhythm, and pacing will be crucial towards the final sketch of the project.

I am thinking about …

Sondra Perry, Lineage for a Multiple-Monitor Workstation: Number One, 2015 

https://sondraperry.com/Lineage-for-a-Multiple-Monitor-Workstation-Number-One

Annie Bercy, (Mood Boards) 

American Artist, Black Gooey Universe

Legacy Russell, Glitch Feminism

Other References:

London Williams, Collage, Inkjet on canvas, Blue tape, Mixed Media, 2019