Final Project – Sharing Gazes

Although people visit and share the same physical space, every one of them gets a unique experience out of the space. For example, members of a household share the living room, dining room, and kitchen, but how they interact with the communal space varies. The same goes for offices, classrooms, or any other shared space.

For my final project, I plan to build an interactive visualization of people’s gaze patterns in a shared space through Mixed Reality. Using Meta Quest Pro, I will collect the eye gazes of people who use the space. Then, after data collection, I will create an overlay visualization of these gaze data mapped on to the 3D model of the space (which will resemble Shopify’s gaze heatmap). Instead of revealing all gaze data at once, however, individual gaze patterns will be revealed only when the viewer looks at the same part, sharing gazes in a similar way to Kyle McDonald’s Sharing Faces. In other words, if you look at something in a 3D scene, and if other people in the same space happened to have looked at the same thing in the past, the system would show what else those people have looked as well.

I’m not sure what the final form of the project would look like yet. It could be an interactive experience in the final exhibition.