Textiles Based Artwork- Marissa

El Anatsui, Taago, 2006, Aluminum & Copper Wire, 82 x 124″

My mind has still been focused on repurposing materials for creating textile based artwork, and I remembered this particular piece from a museum visit I took a few years ago.

El Anatsui is a Ghanaian artist who uses found materials such as bottle caps, recycled aluminum commercial packaging, and copper wire, and to fabricate giant shimmering sheets that he calls “cloths.” These cloths are incredible to see in person, and they command the space in the room. They appear both sturdy and soft, and the pliability of the materials used enable the cloths to change how they appear with each new installation in galleries.

I love that his work is bold and contemporary but still firmly anchored his traditional culture. As a modern artist, El Anatsui still recalls 1,000-year-old traditions of strip-woven cloth made by the men in West Africa. An image of Ghanaian kente cloth for reference is displayed below. This particular metal cloth “Taago” feels comforting like a blanket, and the dips and folds create a very interesting pattern of movement that I enjoy. I also appreciate the way he carefully chose his materials for their “usefulness” and value.